Travelers around the world visit places that can offer them excitement, visual satisfaction and basically positive feelings. That’s why they usually visit museums and other historical monuments, art galleries, national parks and other landscapes that offer them a mental uplift. You won’t see the same amount of people visiting the Eiffel Tower later passing by the French Catacombs. They just don’t want to think about death and misery while they are on vacation. They probably have enough of that all year long. But, it’s not all people thinking like that. Some travelers, including me, are friends of the macabre and the adrenaline that danger creates and that’s why they opt for dangerous and thrilling landscapes.
1. The Chapel of Bones in Portugal is decorated entirely with human bones and it was first built in the 16th century by a monk.
If that’s not something different, then I don’t know what is.
2. Hoia Forest in Transylvania has many stories about paranormal activities following it, with a shepherd and his animals disappearing.
That sounds scary!
3. The Hill of Crosses may be considered a holy place in Lithuania, but its image looks pretty terrifying.
Just look at that!
4. El Caminito del Rey in Malaga, Spain is a steel railed pathway with only 3.2 feet width and 1.8 miles in length.
That sounds dangerous!
5. Hanging Coffins in Sagada, China goes back in time, when people believed that the mountains were a connecting place for earth and Heaven.
I bet you haven’t seen something like that before!
6. The Capuchi Catacombs is one of the largest mummy exhibitions in the world, with more than 8,000 having been buried in them.
Okay, is this pretty damn cool, or am I just weird?
7. The shipwreck in the Solomon Islands has been abandoned there, since there are strong underwater coral formations, which makes it very hard for ships to pass by.
Well, that makes sense.
8. After the World War II, American soldiers left their cars in this forest in Belgium and now the forest seems to have consumed the cars.
Not every landscape and tourist attraction is romantic and beautiful to look at. Some attractions ignite fear and make you travel back in time and imagine how life was in them. Maybe our vacation should not always be this pretty and romantic.